Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Learnings from my sunglasses...

A few months ago, as I put on one of my favourite sunglasses I smiled as I looked at the "screwstopper" on the left side.

The back story: A few years (yes, years) ago, I noticed that one of the handles (actually temples) of my sunglasses was wiggling a bit. The next time I brought it out of the pouch the temple was separated from the rest of the frame.

Thankfully, the screw dropped in the pouch. Well that was an "easy fix" or so I thought. So I located the smallest screwdriver in our home that would fit and put the screw back in place. Over the following months, the screw fell out and I put it back in place. Then one day as I was putting on my earrings, I had an idea: "What if I used one of these stoppers on the screw - if it would fit.

Image result for name of earring stoppersI guess there was only one way to find out if it would fit. So last year, I tried it and it fit...being made of pliable rubber helped of course. As I put on my sunglassess a few months later, it was a pleasant and timely reminder of my out-of-the-box thinking and my resourcefulness in solving problems.

As I pondered on it, it occurred to me that too many times we try to hard to identify our transferable skills as if we expect them to be from another planet.

As I coach people to transform their lives and careers, I challenge them to dig deep and discover their transferable skills. When you take the time to look within, you find that they are planted in you - not from another planet.

As I pondered on this piece, I had another situation. I needed a mug for tea. I opened the cupboard and no mug was within my reach. I started off to call someone who would have more access - or shall we say easier access, then it occured to me that I could "extend" my hand...and that's excatly what I did.

Yes, I leveraged a table knife and carefully pulled a mug within my reach. I started and had to go and get my phone to take a picture in slow motion. Once again the portability of transferable skills (repitition intended) showed.

I know that it may be easier for one person than the other to make those linkages - between what they do in one role and what they can carry over to the next role or even between what they do at home that can be applied at work and vice versa. I am able and available to help you make those and other linkages. Feel free to email or inbox (via LinkedIn) me for coaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Look inwards then step out...