Sunday, November 1, 2015

How do you show up?


Last month, this question came up in my mind after I read this verse:

 “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.” (Matthew 5: 13 - MSG)

So I had to reassess how I "show up" at work; let me explain...

I had the opportunity of changing office locations. When weeks before I was to relocate and even days after, people kept saying things to me, I was surprised. The comments were consistent - people were going to miss me, my smile, humour etc. What surprised me the most was some of the people that I felt that I rarely interact with who came over to my corner to chat with me personally. In fact, the cleaner asked me "Are you moving?" I said "Yes." She asked where to and when I told her she said "I'll miss you."

I need to be careful and be clear that I'm not recommending that all you do at work is smile but it should be on your "To do" list daily. For some people, your pleasant disposition is the only thing they need for their day to be favourably flavoured.

In order to bring out the flavour of food, salt has to distinguish itself. It is always evident when there is no or not enough salt in food. Likewise, at work and in the work you do, you must do your best, not just "good enough"* and distinguish yourself.

So how do you show up at work? Show up in a way that reveals God-flavours in you... smiles and all. Come out of the Salt-shaker** - make a difference for good & for God.

References:
* http://empowered-women-excel.blogspot.ca/2015/10/good-enough-is-not-good-enough.html
** http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2012/05/out-of-salt-shaker.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2013/11/here-to-matter.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look inwards then step out...