Tuesday, May 15, 2018

“I may not be what you are used to...


...so you need to get used to it.”

Last year when I heard this comment from a manager (and colleague), I smiled because I could relate with it. I remember so well - as if it happened yesterday...


A few years ago, I had the opportunity and privilege of inheriting a team. From the onset, I acknowledged and shared with the team that I'm sure that I'll be different from their previous Manager. I knew that because when I was being hired, my manager clearly told me that he needed a "Leader" not a ‘Doer’ - and of course I needed to do the job I had been hired for.

So it was really interesting to hear how many times different or the same team members remarked 'That’s not how XXXX did it.’ At times I let it go like water off a duck’s back and sometimes I responded saying 'I’m not XXXX.’

What really baffled and amused me about it was that I was challenging and encouraging them to think and take more initiative. If/when someone came to me with a problem, I'd ask what the person thought or suggested we should do. Then I would either send them back to think up a solution to present it to me or work through the steps with them so they get to the solution themselves. I used to say: "Come to me with solutions - or at least suggestions - to problems you encounter" because I strongly believe that we all have the ability of solving problems (even if we are the problem). And that is the way I operate and it has helped me as a develop myself and others.

So of course, I couldn't afford to change who I am. Can you imagine not being yourself? What a phony and unfulfilling way to live! In fact, in the words of another manager, 'I’m willing to meet you halfway but not three-quarters of the way.’

About 18 months later, when some of them were transferred to a new manager, one of them came to me and said, 'Thank you for all you made us do. You made me to start using my brain and doing things I enjoyed doing.’ I smiled and said: 'That's good to hear.’

Lesson learned: Stay true to yourself... especially if as a leader you truly desire to see others become better versions of themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Look inwards then step out...