Saturday, November 15, 2014

Rooster reality

Q: If a rooster lays an egg at the very top of a slanted roof, which side is the egg going to roll off on?

Take a moment to think of your answer before you continue reading...

If you're scientifically-minded, I  suppose you may answered something like,
"It depends on the direction of the wind and the speed at which the egg was laid."
If you're a conservative person, you may be wondering, "why (or even, how) on earth did the rooster get to the roof?" I wondered that briefly too - until I saw the answer


That’s right, they don't, can't, never have and never will. Quick biology lesson: Roosters are male chickens and Hens are female chickens - hence the term "Mother-hen."
 
The simplicity of the answer reminded me of the "Why did the chicken cross the road? " question. Now that's the topic for another post so watch out for that.
 
So the more I thought about this riddle and the answer, the words "Rooster Reality" came to mind. Much as we'd like to do "everything," there are some things that we just can't do. I can "hear" someone say:
"But Philippians 4:13 says: 'I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.'*"

Yes it does, I like how this other rendition clarifies the verse:
"Christ is the one who gives me the strength I need to do whatever I must do."** 

The operative words are "to do whatever I  MUST do."
Those words are very important in our careers and lives as a whole.
 
Like the rooster, we need to know our purpose and what we're good at and invest in improving ourselves in those areas. There's a place for learning new things but should never be at the expense of what you already do well... Know and fulfil your purpose.
 
Sources:
* GWT
**ERV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look inwards then step out...