Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Reverse Mentoring

One thing I have learned being a Leader that is that "The Leader does not know everything" - nor is she/he expected to. Now I know that in reality a lot of supervisors/managers were "promoted" into leadership positions because of their technical knowledge, skills and sometimes tenure in the organization - however that's not what will keep them successful.

Take a deep breath... I'm not saying that you should forget or unlearn what you already know - besides the fact that that's not really possible, they are part of your "foundation" so don't crack it.

All I'm saying is open yourself up to learn more - and new things. There is a sharp difference between Leaders and Managers/Supervisors - and many people including me*, have written about them.

One tip that I have employed which has helped me succeed is "Reverse Mentoring." Huh?! What's that?! Glad you had that reaction...it's exactly the same reaction a Senior Leader had when I shared with him that I was now in a new area and needed to learn a lot about. I proceeded to share with him that I had told my team members that I was new to the area and would expect "reverse mentoring." It sounded preposterous to him - his face said it all. "You mean you want your staff to "mentor" you?" He shook his head in disbelief so I proceeded to break it down for him. By the time I was done, he couldn't but agree that my idea was a good one. And if I may add, it was an idea that came from a place of humility.

Image result for learning and leadership quotesSo what is Reverse Mentoring? Simply put, it is learning from your team members - or others who may be surbordinate to or younger than you. The most successful leaders are those who know that life-long learning is key to progress (and promotion). They also know that if you manage your staff/team members well, they will manage the work - like one of my managers taught me a few years ago. So taking an interest in their work and understanding how and why they do what they do will increase your connection to them and your content.

"Learning and Leadership are indspensable from each other."  
~ John F. Kennedy
.
Image result for all leaders are learners quote
This is true; the minute a leader realizes then accepts this and has the humility to learn from others, whoever those others are, then he/she has set themselves up for success.
Enjoy the rest of the Mentoring Month!

References:
* Leader vs. Manager articles:
- Which are you?
 - I may not be what you're used to

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look inwards then step out...